Are you considering putting your home on the market? Maybe you currently have your home on the market and are wondering if you should keep it active, or remove it and try again in spring. There is a common myth that winter is a bad time of year to sell, but is that myth true?
We get this question all the time and would like to dispel the myth that winter is a bad time of year to sell your home.
Here are the 3 reasons why you should list your home now or keep it on the market:
- Less Competition. Historically there is lower listing inventory in the 4th quarter, which means that there are less homes for you to compete with. The graph in Figure 1 shows that it is typical for the number of active listings to be lower in the 4th quarter of each year than in any of the first 3 quarters.
- Less Showings Needed. Due to the fact that there are slightly less buyers looking for homes in the 4th quarter of the year means that you will have less buyers look at your home. At first this may sound like a bad thing, but in realty it is great!
- In Figure 2 you will see that historically there are less sales in the 4th quarter than in the 2nd or 3rd quarters
- In Figure 3 though you will see that the percentage of sold properties in the 4th quarter has many years been near or even above the percentage of homes that sell in other quarters of the year. This shows us that there is still good demand for the homes that are on the market.
- With less to pick from and less overall buyers in the market (since people don’t as often voluntarily move in winter) we feel that the same end result of a sale can be achieved with less inconvenience to you as a seller.
- Strong 4th Quarter Projections. Based on last years sales we are projecting that at least 2,500+ homes will sell during the 4th quarter of 2014. Since there has continually been a slight increase of the number of sales from the previous year in the 4th quarter the question is, Do you want to be one of them?
We feel that the 4th quarter of the year can have just as much potential for you as a homeowner to get your property sold! If you want to check out what you would currently be competing against in your neighborhood, check out our Advanced Search. For more information on the selling process or what your home might be worth in the current market, check out our article 10 Stages Of The Home Selling Process & request a Free Home Valuation from us today!